Thursday 11 November 2010

"Not enthusiastic" Second Week Back

On a Monday - they're all dull - but that's what editing's in place for.  To make it a brilliant upbeat turnaround.  I carried on editing just fine on Monday.  The Sunday just gone, I had a discussion with my dad about my short film and I've had comments from a few people, including him, my mother, my teacher and even my annoying little sister (who can be great fun to be around at times) and one thing they all said? The shots have no connection - there needs to be a through-line -------------so I spent the remainder of the lesson thinking of how I can communicate the through-line, because I know what the connection between the shots is: they're all in London, but how can I show that to the audience?

Wednesday - editing more.  I've realised that I need to film the beginning sequence.  It is imperative that I do this for the opening sequence because it will be absolutely gob-smacking, furthermore it will set up peoples' expectations for the film.  However, as Ms Matthew's said, if I can't loan the camera out (filming equipment is running low - hence the Year 12s filming their adverts) then I'll need to think of some other way to make an effective opening.  If I can't, I'll need to work with what I've got.  I think short-film is about teaching your to be original with what you've got.  I spent the lesson editing clips to slow them down or rearrange them so that my short-film will look more smooth, impressive and symbolic.  
Ms Matthew's then stopped us towards the end of the lesson and told us that she doesn't see us as that enthusiastic about editing, "I'm not talking about all of you, I'm talking about some of you, individually".  It's a wonder why I didn't stay in the editing suite for the rest of the day and miss out all of my other lessons as a protest against what she said (speaking of protest, there was a student protest yesterday against the rise in university fees).  Ms Matthew's told us that we shouldn't just be doing small bits of editing (in another sense of the word: doing **** all!) but editing with the broader picture in mind.  Speaking candidly, I find it amazing that she even said that because in light of me telling her my plans for 'Obscured From View' she still remarked on our lack of work.  I think she should of left that comment out because everybody - especially me, is working extremely hard and I'm especially passionate about my idea because it's my idea -nobody else'! 

14:00hrs today and we're in room 907, the ICT suite.  I'm typing this away as I speak, whilst everybody uploads their work.  You can see that mine is already uploaded on to the site.  The Year 12s are using the editing suite today, so no chance I can go in.  This is boastful, but I'm so far ahead that I can't see why I need to be in this room updating the blog when I could be doing this at home and advancing my short-film on.  That's what I need to be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment